Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Mal Pais Surf Camp


Surf Camp was an adventure in itself.  The photo on the left is our house we stayed in at Surf Camp.  Getting to surf camp was half the battle.  One of the ferry's was out so we had to travel 2 extra hours to get to Mal Pais.  In the line to pay for the ferry I met a really cool couple.  A guy named Spoon and his girlfriend Trish.  Spoon looked like a weathered piece of leather, had huge missoni sunglasses, board shorts and a tan better than any Jersey Shore cast member.  Trish was petitie, vivacious, and had bright blue eyes.  She was also quite a talker, which probably comes as a result of being in the film industry.  She is a documentary film maker/producer.  After five minutes of talking to them I offered them a ride so they did not have to take the bus.  I realized only after the offer that I probably should have asked Kris who might not have been as receptive to this random gesture.  Luckily after meeting them he was fine with the deal and didn't think I was insane (if he did he didn't vocalize it).  They turned out to be a really cool people.  Trish was a documentary film maker and Spoon owns Kona Microbrewery home of the Long board Ale.  We got to Mal Pais and Trish's description of a Mad Max scene was accurate.  There were people riding around on ATV's with ski goggles and their kids were perched in front of them.  Motorcycles were zooming around passed us and only 10% of the roads there were paved.  Everyone walking around had board shorts, dreads or long hair, and no shoes on.  Kris and I instantly realized that we did not exactly belong.  I doubt anyone in this town worked more than 4hrs a day, owned a suit, or knew what was going on outside of the small surf town.  Our first day there we were unable to surf because the waves were too high so we spent the day walking around the town, going to the beach, and just relaxing.  It was much needed after our last few action packed days.

Some funny things that happened....

Surfer Talk
On the way to dinner our surfer friend from Surf Camp was coming back from the beach and said "Dudes!  There is a giant ass sea turtle just chillin on the beach if you want to go check it out."

Euchre
One night we played cards with a couple from Ohio which was fun because I had no idea how to play Euchre so I learned.  After I got the hang of the game and we were doing well we started to lose really badly.   I was just thinking about the odds and it was strange that I received zero face cards when the couple was dealing.  I said something like "Wow this is actually amazing that I have not had one face card in the last several hands.  So strange."  To my comment the female part of the group says "Well I'm not cheating, I mean I tried to learn to cheat once and I couldn't even get that right."  Followed by a nervous laugh.  I found that really odd and almost said "If you have to cheat to win that just means you're an even bigger loser."  Considering they didn't know me and I can sometimes be a bit too harsh I decided to keep the comment to myself.  After we lost the last game miserably we decided to call it quits.  As soon as the game was over we shook their hands and wished them a great trip tomorrow.  When Kris and I were walking over to the pool table his cool demeanor has transitioned to a blazing fire and he says "I can't believe how BAD those people were cheating!!"  Looking back she was staring at the cards as she shuffled, organizing in a certain way after the deck was cut, and doing some other shady stuff.  It was kind of funny that after all the things that had happened cheating is what got Kris fired up. 

Surf Instructor Teal
When we went out into the water with Teal our surf instructor he and I were talking about the current and the waves and he kept repeating how "strange" they looked and how it was not normal for Mal Pais to look this way.  With all his "crazy wave" talk I was starting to get scared.  I don't like the open water probably as a result of watching Jaws at a young age and all those Tsunami's and natural disasters happening around the country I didn't know what to expect.  So before I let my irrational fear get the best of me I decided to ask what was on my mind.  "Teal, Do you think there is a Tsunami coming?"  He looked at me as if he was checking to see if I was joking and said "Absolutely not Clara." 

After the 2nd hour in the water I started to feel like a fresh ripe grape that had turned into a raisen.  The salt water had sucked the water out of me and punched me several times in the stomach, legs, and arms.  I went to look at my watch and said "Oh my gosh my watch is busted.  We have been out here 2hrs already."  To which Teal said "Surfers don't wear watches.  Take that off"

When I started to get pretty good and was able to get up every time Teal took me out past the second break I started to get a bit nervous and he kept telling me to ditch my board on really big waves.  When he told me to get ready to take the next wave he also gave me a look of fear.  He said "This one might be alot bigger than you're used to but you can do it just pay attention and listen to me."  He shouted "PADDLE!"  So I started to paddle.  He started to scream "Harder, Paddle Faster!!"  The under current was sucking the board back and into the wave so strongly my paddling wasn't doing anything.  Then all I heard was "ARCH YOUR BACK!" I started to take off and I didn't hear "JUMP UP" so I did it anyway.  It was a bit too early and I didn't get all the way up before the wave knocked me down.  I started to tumble and made it all the way to the ocean floor and hit the only rock in the area.  I bruised and scrapped up both knees pretty well but it did earn me some surfer credit.  I turned around to Teal's shocked face and he half heartedly gave me the "Hang Ten" sign. 

The second to last wave of the day we tried going out and getting another "big one."  I listened to his comands and jumped up on the board but it didn't feel right.  I didn't make it past the wave breaking and I felt like it was a really heavy wave as I looked back I noticed I was dragging Teal.  His leg had gotten caught up in my ankle strap and he was almost under my surf board. 

Howler Monkeys
I can't explain howler monkeys or do them justice even with the phrase "They sound like the Devil's house pets."  Here is a link Howler Monkeys they were nightmare neighbors but awesome alarm clocks. 

Lessons Learned
Even though it seems like my trip was just a series of crazy stories it was relaxing and I did get something very valuable from it.  My past experiences had created a low expectation for future boyfriends and I realized that people have different kinds of qualities.  All men aren't idiots, they aren't all thoughtless, and you don't have to speak a certain language to get across what you want.  Through Kris I picked up a few qualities that I know I would like in a partner.  He always made sure I was comfortable (was I hot/cold, did I sleep well, did I want him to get my sunblock from the room, served me first before himself), he walked in front of me on the dirt road so he would be the one to get hit by a car or motorcycle, he paid attention to what I liked (he got me coffee the way I like it by the time I sat down at breakfast without me even asking), he is honest and trustworthy, and most importantly he was polite to everyone (even the cheaters).  I truly hope everything works out with him and that special someone but if it doesn't I'm sure he will find someone equally as fantastic as himself!  And of course I look forward to future Adventures with my newest travel partner....Muchas Gracias SeƱor!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!