Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Should you date your neighbor?

This summer I ran into a guy who looked particularly lost.  He asked me where the storage area was in our building.  Considering he was outside our building at the time I figured I should probably walk him into our basement.  As I was walking him to the basement I found out he was new to Chicago and my building.  I ended up asking him a hundred questions (our elevator is slow) and he suggested we hang out and I show him around Chicago.

I never saw him again after that moment so I had forgotten about him.  Then last week on my walk back in from our garage I saw him.  My lips were dry, red and wind burnt, my hair was wet from snow blowing into my hoodie and I was fighting with my jacket and bags that I was carrying trying to find my keys.  Very sexy to say the least.  I finally found them made my way into the hallway and pushed the button for the elevator and as I removed my hood which is the equivilant of horse blinders he magically appeared in my line of sight.  I figured he wouldn't remember me so I didn't say anything.  But just in case I searched through my bag for my lip gloss.  As I was pretending to be busy searching through my handbag he leaned over and said "Hey...Clara right?  Do you remember me?" 

I was trying to hide my chapped lips so I was sucking them inward and pretending to bite them which probably drew more attention to them in the long run.  I responded with "Yeah, how have you been?"

We made small talk and he said "Are you free this weekend?  You can finally show me around Chicago."  I actually had plans so I said "No, i'm sorry I'm busy."  Then he said "Well maybe the following week, how about that?"  I was going to be out of town so I said "You know what I'm going to be out of town.  I can make a spreadsheet for you of all the places you should check out.  That could help you find your way around and get to see some really cool sites."

He stared at me and seemed like he was trying to get something out.  I was starting to think that I sounded like the biggest bullet point nerd ever and then he said "Well I guess I didn't do this right, but I was trying to ask you out.  I wasn't too focused on seeing Chicago." 

Whoops.  I wonder how many people have tried to ask me out and I just haven't picked up on it. 

So my big question to myself now is...Should I go out with my neighbor?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!