Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Tech Support Embarrassment

Internet Password Organizer (R): MateLets be honest I embarrass myself 99% of the time and on a rare occasion someone embarrasses me.  Like when my former boss Mike called me pretending to be our security check in and told me that I had flowers waiting for me.  I went to the lobby and they sent me to our delivery room in the basement.  I was asking around for about 10min convinced that someone else had taken my flowers.  As I was getting flustered I revisited the sound of the overtly husky voice on the phone.  Awesome. 

Today I had the pleasure of embarrassing myself.  Our ordering portal for business cards was not working, I have been in this job for 7months and still have not been able to order these cards.  I always got to the "check out" button but instead of entering my credit card it sends me ALL the way back to start over and re-type in my information.  A person can only do this so many times before you sincerely consider assaulting any electronic equipment nearby. 

I made the call to our help desk which is conveniently located in Mumbai.  I have no idea what "Rich" is trying to tell me so he eventually takes over my computer and tries to show me.  He is completely baffled as well and instead of fixing the problem accuses me of doing something to break the system.  Yes, "Rich" I have deadlines to meet but today I decided to abandon real work and my goal was to make YOUR life tougher.  We both end up at Tech Support level 3 which lands me back in the US with a guy from IBM who couldn't care less about my problem or the software they developed to order business cards.  I now have 3 tech guys on the phone and they are all trying to figure out how to order me business cards.  We have to go to another website to contact someone else and this requires my Global password.  The following conversation ensues. 

IBM guy:  Clara what's your password so we can access all the sites with your global log on and take over your computer?
Me:  Can I just enter it
IBM Guy:  It'll be easier if you just tell us so that we can enter it for each website and you can work on other stuff.
Me:  I'll just enter it
"Rich":  Tiz easiah if you give to us this password
IBM Guy:  Just tell us I don't want to have to give you back control to enter it 5 times it'll eat up tons of time
"Rich":  Iz ziz a probleem Miss Gaza?

[Debating if I want to give them my password.  I have been on the phone for a total of 67min.  I have spoken to 3 technicians from 2 different countries and while on hold for IBM learned all about Rich's love of cricket and his 5 children.  I don't think I can do this again tomorrow]

Tech #2:  Clara?
Me:  Ok Ok. 
"Rich":  Ah very good
Me:  Wait, can I change it before? 
IBM Guy:  DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG THAT WILL TAKE?!
Me:  Ok Fine.  It's...it's...Whofartedon22 and the W is capitalized
[Silence]
IBM Guy:  What was that?
Me:  Whofartedon22
IBM Guy:  [breaks out into some snorting laughter]

I'm thankful that after the long silence laughter broke through. 

I like to create passwords that make me laugh.  It adds some fun to my day.  Don't judge me.  Just start doing it, you'll see how it brings a smile to your day.  Except when you're on with Tech Support.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!