Thursday, September 2, 2010

Adventures in Shopping

My friend Rob, who is also my running partner, was in need of a gift for his "muh lady friend."  I don't exactly know how this nickname came about but the guys are convinced I came up with it since I also call Judy (Sam's wife) Judy booty.  And sometimes I call her JCB "Judy Cutie Booty."  I'm big on nicknames and if you have met me then chances are that you have one.  It helps me remember names, of course I have to hear the name correctly at first for this trick to work.  However, this trick can backfire if you can't remember the name and just the nickname which happened at camp when I gave Randy the nickname "Beef Cake."  So much for that memory game.
Anyway back to the story.  So I agreed to help Rob as long as he went with me to try on dresses for an upcoming event.  So as we were looking at the watches and jewelry and discussing what an acceptable price range for a gift would be I hear my name being called in a strong Spanish accent.  I immediately look around for my grandma who is 5'1 with curly reddish blond hair, normally seen in a gold track suit, and enough bling to be a human disco ball.  However, Grandma Connie is no where to be found.  But there is another woman with bright red hair shouting "CL-AH-DAH" (that's how you pronounce Clara in Spanish) over and over. I look over at Rob who has turned away from the sales woman and is watching wide eyed as this tiny woman bolted over to me.  I have no idea who this woman is!  She is about 5'0 with her heels on, but her spirit felt like a QB with a defensive player running towards me.  When Rob and I talked about this later he said "I think you're confusing her spirit with the 1/3 bottle of cologne she had on." 
I'm smiling nervously and she slowed her trot down to a confused walk.  Then she tilts her head to her shoulder and says in Spanish "Do you remember me?" I start jogging my memory.  She was so excited to see me and now she looks really confused so I said in Spanish "You know, I do remember you a little."  Rob squeezes my shoulder.  He has no idea what is being said because he doesn't speak Spanish, but I think he's getting the idea of the conversation.  "Well ummm."  And she says "It's me Sonya from your flight to Tejas las jear."  I fly to Texas pretty often to see family and because I'm chatty I talk to probably 2 people each leg of flights that I am on.  So the mental Rolodex of people I have spoken to was pretty long.  Then she says "You predicted my future and prayed for me."  Then under his breath I hear Ron say "Oh Dear God."
The picture of her former self and our conversation started to come back to me.  I did remember her!  She was on the flight from ORD to DFW, was about 80lbs heavier, and she could hardly fit into the seat.  She was so upset when the stewardess told her in a snippy tone that she would need an extender for her seat belt.  She kept apologizing and not knowing what to say I said "Don't worry, you're fine. These seats are tiny."  And she pet my hand and said "Thank you."  This opened up introductions and the reason for travel.  I don't remember in detail what we talked about but I remember feeling awful and in my mind the thought bubble "How can you help her?" popped up.
So back to Nordstrom.  I introduce Rob to my now petite friend and I lean over to tell him "We met on a flight to Tex...."  Before I can finish she jumps into the conversation with her Spanish accent "Jes and I talk her about my deh-borce and she says to me 'Sonya you can do it! Get Goals.'  Pray hard and work hard for de life jew want!"  After her story she hugs me and says "I hab company of cleaning ladies now!  I have a company Clah-dah!!"  She can't seem to stop squeezing me and she even grabs my hand as we're talking and pets it.  After a few minutes of catching up Rob and I politely excused ourselves.  As we are leaving Sonya says to Rob  "Dees girl is real eh-special my friend!"

Rob looks at her and says...."Trust me I know.  We met on a bus."  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!