Monday, July 26, 2010

Click it or Ticket!

I went back home to Texas for my Step-Sister Meri's wedding.  We had a great time, but while I was down there I was pulled over. 

I did not get my nails done prior to coming to Texas so I had to stop by the nail salon.  It took them forever but we finally got the color right and I was able to walk out a happy customer.  As my nails were drying I realized I had spent almost 2 1/2 hours there so I needed to get home.  I jumped in the car and as I was backing out I saw a police officer.  I assumed he was going to pass me but he didn't.  As I was pulling onto the main road his lights went on.  I thought to myself this is ridiculous I used my blinker, I turned on green, and I had not even reached 10mph.  I decided I would pull into the Whataburger because if you're going to get a ticket you might as well get fries to go with it. 

I rolled down the window and said "Hi there."  The officer said "Ma'am do you know why I pulled you over?"
Do officers only ask this question because they would like you to incriminate yourself? 
I stared blankly going over what I had done and said "No Sir...I do know that I wasn't speeding."  I smiled and chuckled a little bit.  Ok maybe too much, I need to control the making myself laugh sometimes. 

The officer took my licence after reviewing it he gruffly said "Well down here in Texas we have a law about wearing your seat belt."  I said "Oh I know I'm from here, I went to school down at UTSA for 4yrs.  I've only lived in IL for 5yrs...I just couldn't put it on."

He looked a bit perterbed and interrupted my rambling "Everyone has to put it on.  Why couldn't you put yours on?"

As sweetly as I could I said "My nails are still wet."  I held up my hands for him to see.  I gave him my sad eyes and puffed out bottom lip and said "I always obey the law my brother is a police officer, I just didn't want to ruin my nails for my sister's wedding.  I already smudged one rolling down the window." 
He took a step back and I think I saw a bit of a smile behind the 'I'm not sure what to say next' look on his face.  He stood and I sat in silence.  It was his move.  Then he said "Well umm ok let me just get that for you then."  He opened the door, grabbed the seat belt and then reached over me to click it.  I blurted out THANK YOU before he could get his entire body out of the car and he turned bright red and just nodded and put one hand up and walked back to his cruiser.  Whew! 

Ladies if you get pulled over in Texas...be nice and maybe a bit helpless.  You never want to mess with Texas, unless of course you have a really good reason.  

2 comments:

  1. hahahaha that's hilarious. I'm sure the cop would give me a ticket and would force me to mess up my nails!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way! You just have to smile and look a bit helpless. Remember all the times we were pulled over?!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!